2-3 pounds of Napa cabbage
1/2 Pound of Korean radish or daikon, julienned
4-5 Green onions(scallions). cut into 2-inch lengths, then slivered
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
1 tablespoons of minced ginger
1/2 cup of sea salt or kosher salt for soaking, 1-2 tablespoons for seasoning
1/2 cup of Korean red pepper flacks(gochugaru)
1/4 cup of ground dried mushroom, shiitake or any kind
2 tables spoons of dried kelp, diced finely
1/2 cup of water
1 teaspoon of sugar, optional
2. Soak the cabbage in salted water for 5-6 hours until the cabbage become rubbery.
3. Wash the cabbage thoroughly and gently. Drain the cabbage in a colander and set aside.
4. Place the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and combine them thoroughly.
5. Using your hand, gently work the mixture into cabbage until they are throughly coated. Gloves are recommended when you are mixing with hands.
6. Pack the kimchi into the jar. Let the jar stand at room temperature for 1-2 days, then refrigerate.